Sunday, October 8, 2017

Some Bad Desserts? +FanFiction Character's Characterization

Hello! Welcome back to another post! With this post I'll be talking about fanfictions! Though specially about how the other portrays that character or characters. For people who don't know what fanfictions are then they are practically a form of a writing or story (stories) made by fans in fandoms of the things they like. So they are making stories about the characters they like in a certain fandom or fandom of the choosing. (Though there may also be crossovers.) Though I want to talk about this since sometimes they could actually end up getting a character personality wrong. Sometimes if people end up in a new fandom then they would want to search for fanfictions right away to know a character better or of the liking. Though fanfictions aren't always reliable. If someone ends up reading a bad wrong fanfiction it could confuse them as they get more into the fandom.

In fact they could end up getting a wrong idea of this character all together. Though I would say that wrong characterizations are kinda hard to find? I think it mostly depends on which website you use to look for them. Normally they only times I find wrong ones are when I end up reading almost every fanfiction in that fandom. So it's more likely to find them like that I guess. Though it's different for every person. I also run into some of them right off the bat right away also, so I guess they are more easier to find in a way also. Though of course I would also say it depends on the fandom also. This one could also be due to multiple reasons, though I'll give one reason.

So I already talked about this some I think in a manga post, I posted about which I'll link down below just in case, but if this character is originally from a game in Japan and that company decides to make manga volumes for it. Then it is possible that the person they hire to write it/draw it ends up making that character the exact opposite of who they are in the original thing they are in. Not only that but since it is more common for manga to end up getting an English translation, then that fake wronged character could end up being interpreted like that by most of the English fandom (they could also end up getting a lot of hate, if that person portrayed them the wrong/worst way). Not only that but they end up making spin off manga that don't connect to that one and are made by completely other people, then when they end up getting an English translation. They could still end up being portrayed that way for "consistency" or something like that.

Even though in all those other manga's the characterization for that character is right or truer to that character who was firstly wrong. Though due to that first manga or manga series it actually made it mess up the English one. (Though that may not be the case for all. It just depends on the person who license it of course.) But it's most likely for people to end up reading the manga and not really searching about it more deeply or just accepting it as is. (Since it's in the language we know and such.) Or if people do search more about it and such then they could end up getting highly confused. Not only that but if a character is wronged like that in a bad way (which basically is always a bad way in this case (no matter if they give an awful person a good personality it's still bad)) then that could make the reader be turned off or against that character and end up hating him.

Though this will/could end up leading to a lot of wrong characterization in fanfictions. Not only that but people would end up relying on it for fanfictions since it is an official thing. Which kinda makes it worse in a way. (Though in the case of the spin off ones that are unrelated to the first one (but are still of the same thing/game series) then I would hope you end up finding out about it and try to find fan-translated ones of those manga since those always tend to be true to the character and manga. Though of course I'm only about those spin off ones since the first one and such was just due to that writer of it and such, so it would be the same no matter what. Though now I just feel like I was ranting that whole time, but it's still very true in fanfiction terms on what I said about it. Which is also why I'm saying that some fanfictions for a fandom can actually end up being worse than others. (Wrong characterization cause of that or not.)

Though I do feel like it's unfair to the story writer/drawer of those spin off manga's to end up being treated so cruelly like that. It just enrages me in a way especially since it's so different from that first series. But all my rage and ranting aside... It might end up being rare to end up finding the true ones in those cases, (for fanfiction in a fandom like that) but always ends up being worth it! Though I do hope everyone got a better understanding and such. If I have to explain something better or simpler then just tell me! Honestly this is definitely probably one of my most longest ones. (If not my longest.) Though like I said if I need to shorten something or make simpler then just comment down below! Also if you want to add or say something then comment down below! Or else I'll talk to you guys later!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(Honestly for anyone who read all of that then you are a true MVP.)

Link for the people who practically want my whole entire rant part shorten and in a better sense. Basically the link I talked about in the post except it's about English otome game translations but I ended up talking about the manga series instead of games and such. (It's a few sections down and WAY shorter)(Also in short I was just talking about the manga, no games since I don't know any like that but do with manga's, so just in case you end up think of it in that or so.): http://otometalk.blogspot.com/2017/08/lets-talk-designs-otome-game.html

No comments:

Post a Comment